What Does a Thyroid Functional Medicine Doctor Do Differently
Inside - Understand what does a Thyroid Functional Medicine Doctor does differentially. Know about different kinds of thyroid disorders. Get cleared if you have ever wondered why did you get thyroid disorder. Conventional vs Functional Medicine Doctor difference.
A thyroid functional medicine doctor makes a comprehensive plan to heal your thyroid in a more natural way.
Thyroid disorders incidence is rising at a rapid rate in the last decade. We are seeing that more and more females are being diagnosed with thyroid disorders.
It is estimated that more than 12% of the US population suffer from thyroid disorders.
Researchers are perplexed by this sudden rise in thyroid disorders and are still looking for answers. This is where Functional Medicine has been helpful as their protocols have been able to help several thyroid patients.
Different Kinds of Thyroid Disorders
There are different kinds of thyroid disorders, but the most common is hypothyroidism or low thyroid.
- Hypothyroidism: This is a condition where your thyroid gland is not able to produce enough thyroid hormone to meet the body’s demand. This is typically treated by a medicine called levothyroxine. The causes of hypothyroidism can be iodine deficiency or Hashimoto’s disease.
- Hyperthyroidism or Graves disease. This is an autoimmune condition in which your thyroid gland produces excessive thyroid hormone. The typical symptoms are bulging eyes, palpitations, anxiety, excessive sweating, or feeling hot all the time.
- Hashimoto’s Disease: This is an autoimmune disease of your thyroid gland, where your body produces antibodies to destroy your thyroid gland. This ultimately leads to hypothyroidism as your thyroid gland is being destroyed. Conventionally there is no treatment available for Hashimoto’s, so most of the females are told to return back when their thyroid is destroyed completely and then started on thyroid hormone medicine.
Why Did You Get Thyroid Disorder?
If you have been diagnosed with a thyroid disorder then you might have wondered why did you get it.
But I am sure your doctor was not able to answer this question.
The reason being conventional medicine doesn’t have answers to this question.
But, the new research is suggesting that thyroid disorders are the result of an interplay between your genes and the environment around you.
Here the environment around you includes -
- the food you eat
- the amount of stress you get exposed to
- the quality of sleep you get
- the kind of toxins you have been exposed to.
The interesting part is that each and every individual react to these environmental factors differently. So every individual has a different environmental factor that triggered her thyroid disorder.
A Thyroid Functional Medicine Doctor helps you to identify the environmental factor that triggered your thyroid disorder.
Functional medicine is a “root cause medicine”, what this means is that it helps to identify the underlying cause of your thyroid disorder.
Once we have identified the reason for your thyroid disorder then it becomes so much easier to work on it and reverse your disease.
Conventional vs Thyroid Functional Medicine Doctor
There are certain differences in how a conventional doctor will approach a thyroid disorder as compared to a Thyroid Functional Medicine Doctor.
The biggest difference being the only treatment that a conventional doctor can offer is levothyroxine medicine.
On the other hand, a Thyroid Functional Medicine Doctor offers a comprehensive plan that offers better results. This comprehensive plan will include a diet specific for thyroid patients, supplements needed to help the thyroid, and other natural forms of thyroid medicines.
It is often seen that even after being on the treatment with levothyroxine, females continue to suffer from unresolved symptoms. With a Functional Medicine approach, we are not only able to resolve symptoms, but often able to get rid of the medicine itself.
So, a Thyroid Functional Medicine Doctor works on the “ Why “ of your thyroid disorder. This leads to better results, and also improves the quality of life of thyroid patients.
|Thyroid Functional Medicine Doctor|
The only treatment he will offer is levothyroxine
|They make a comprehensive plan to help address the underlying cause of your thyroid, that will help to reverse your thyroid condition|
They do very limiting tests, which most often doesn’t evaluate the thyroid completely
|They do complete and in depth thyroid testing so that your thyroid is completely evaluated. Please read this blog post about functional medicine thyroid ranges.|
Often conventional treatment doesn’t help to resolve the symptoms like fatigue, weight problems, hair fall
|Functional medicine protocols will not only treat it naturally but also will help get rid of the symptoms associated with a thyroid disorder.|
There is no testing done to look for the root cause of thyroid
|Advanced testing is done to look for the root cause of your thyroid problem. Read more about advanced functional testing here.|
What does a typical plan look like with a Thyroid Functional Medicine Doctor?
Thyroid Functional Medicine Doctors make a comprehensive plan which focuses on healing your thyroid from the inside out.
- Thyroid food plan: There are specific foods that help support your thyroid gland, and can be very beneficial for your thyroid. At the same time, there are several foods that are harmful to your thyroid and need to avoid. A fully trained Thyroid Functional Medicine Doctor will make a plan to help heal your thyroid completely. Please read this post about the thyroid food plan.
- Supplements: There are several natural supplements that can be taken to help heal your thyroid. But it is important to know which is the right thyroid supplement for your body. This is where a Thyroid Functional Medicine Doctor can be helpful.
- Stress management: Stress is one of the most important reasons we are seeing a big increase in thyroid disorders. And most of us don’t do anything to work on stress. So simple techniques like deep breathing, meditation, yoga can help heal your thyroid.
- Sleep: Lack of good quality sleep affects the thyroid in a negative way. A research study showed that more than 60% of Americans don’t get good quality sleep. Do you know if your sleep quality is good? Ask your Thyroid Functional Medicine Doctor about it.
- Detox: There are several toxins that we get exposed to on regular basis, and all these toxins destroy our thyroid gland. Research has shown time and again that environmental toxins are harmful to the thyroid gland. We make customized detox plans for thyroid clients so that they can get rid of toxins in a safe manner.
To Sum it up...
So if you have a thyroid disorder and you want to improve it naturally. Or if you have symptoms of thyroid and you don’t know what to do about them. Then you need to work with a Thyroid Functional Medicine Doctor who can help you with resolving your thyroid problems. I have helped thousands of patients to resolve their thyroid symptoms by using Functional Medicine protocols.
To get started you can click here to schedule a free 15-minute free evaluation call with me.
Related Reading -