Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis is an autoimmune condition where the immune system attacks its own body cells by mistaking them as foreign invaders. Hence, as a response to protect the body, it damages the thyroid gland by producing Thyroid Antibodies which further leads to hypothyroidism.
As a result, the thyroid gland is not able to produce the desired number of thyroid hormones required by the body for day-to-day functioning.
The thyroid gland is responsible to regulate metabolism in the body, hence when enough thyroid hormones are not produced, the body’s metabolism rate goes down and the body feels lethargic accompanied by other symptoms of Hashimoto’s.
The most common Hashimoto’s disease symptoms that people have are:
There can be various factors that can lead to Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis but a few common causes that lead to Hashimoto’s are:
Hence, once you feel that you are seeing the symptoms of Hashimoto’s and finding it difficult to cope with it, the situation itself is alarming and hence, you should see a doctor as soon as possible for a timely and accurate diagnosis.
Although in conventional medication, doctors usually prescribe the synthetic (man-made) form of thyroid hormone called levothyroxine (Synthroid®, Tirosint®, Levoxyl®, Levothroid®, Unithroid®).
This drug restores the normal function of the thyroid but your body gets dependent on it and you need to take it every day for the rest of your life. The dose keeps on increasing because your thyroid is slowly dying.
Only working on underlying autoimmunity and reducing antibodies is the way to save yourself from Hashimoto’s.
But for the reversal of Autoimmune Diseases like Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis and Hypothyroidism, Functional Medicine Doctor is recommended as having just a dose of medicine will not fix a problem in long run. You need to find the root cause of your Hashimoto’s and treat it.
Functional Medicine Doctors analyze your daily routine, eating habits, toxins, infections, and stress level and try to find out the actual reason for your health condition. Then the treatment depends on improving your overall health by working on the actual problem and making necessary changes in your lifestyle that will aid you to go through the process of reversal. And working on specific protocols to reverse Hashimoto’s.
Dr. Anshul Gupta, an Expert in Functional Medicine has so far treated thousands of patients with Hashimoto’s and helped them to get rid of annoying symptoms by working on the reversal of the disease. With his experience over the years, he accurately diagnoses the root cause by working closely with the patient.
As different things work for different individuals, Dr. Gupta makes sure that treatment is assigned as per the analysis done and the changes are monitored for overall health improvement.
The factors that trigger autoimmunity in the patient should be completely avoided. The ultimate goal is to rebalance and regulate the immune system to regain health back.
Hashimoto’s is left untreated, it can invite major complications in the future. These include:
1. Goitre: As Hashimoto decreases the production of Thyroid Hormone, the condition may lead to Goitre which is an enlargement of the thyroid gland. It does not feel comfortable and may cause difficulty in breathing and swallowing along with throat tightness, swelling, and coughing.
2. Heart Problems: Hypothyroidism has an adverse effect on the Heart condition. It may lead to poor heart function, an enlarged heart, and irregular heartbeats. It also increases the risk of cardiovascular disease and heart failure as it leads to high levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol which is the "bad" cholesterol.
3. Mental Health Issues: Hashimoto’s may lead to Depression which gradually becomes serious as the condition worsen. Hence, it may cause mental health disorders.
4. Sexual and Reproductive Dysfunction: High Level of Hypothyroidism leads to sexual and reproductive dysfunction. Reduced sexual desire (libido), an inability to ovulate, and irregular and excessive menstrual bleeding are some of the symptoms of Hypothyroidism in women. While for men, the symptoms include libido, erectile dysfunction, and a lowered sperm count.
5. Poor Pregnancy Outcomes: Women with Hypothyroidism can cause Pregnancy Issues. There is an increased risk of a miscarriage or preterm birth. Even babies born to women with untreated hypothyroidism are at risk for decreased intellectual abilities, autism, speech delays, and other developmental disorders.
6. Myxedema (miks-uh-DEE-muh). This rare, life-threatening condition can develop due to long-term, severe, untreated hypothyroidism. Its signs and symptoms include drowsiness followed by profound lethargy and unconsciousness. Exposure to colds, sedatives, infection or other stress on your body may trigger a myxedema coma.
For diagnosing the underlying cause, certain lab tests are recommended which include:
After Lab Testing is done, the Functional Medicine Doctor focuses on regaining balance and regulating the immune system to minimize autoimmune responses.
While observing one’s health condition, functional medicine doctors analyze certain individual triggers which are responsible for cumulative damage and thyroid dysfunction.
Hence, measures are taken to take control of such triggers so that autoimmunity stays in control. Making certain lifestyle changes and adopting a holistic functional medicine approach can help you to heal your body for better functioning.
To support Thyroid Health and minimize the autoimmunity response, there are certain diets and practices that have shown amazing results in controlling Autoimmune disorders.
5. Environmental Factors: Chemicals in plastics, pesticides, heavy metals, and other pollutants is one of the major cause of Thyroid Disorder. To limit the exposure, one can use High-quality water and air filters, organic produce, and assessment of other exposures such as metal dental amalgams.
Once the patient starts with an Integrative approach to treating Hashimoto, making necessary lifestyle changes to treat the root cause along with the medication can give noticeable results.
Hence, to regain health back, it is extremely important to treat Hashimoto’s before it leads to further health complications that make it difficult to regain health back. So, see the doctor as soon as you notice any symptoms related to Hashimoto's and get yourself tested.
Early Diagnosis will lead to effective treatment, hence, if you find yourself suffering from Hashimoto’s, get in touch with Functional Medicine Expert, Dr. Anshul Gupta who will help you treat the disease in the best possible manner with the holistic approach which not only revolves around medication but also the needful lifestyle changes that are necessary to incorporate for a healthy life.
Know in detail about Hashimoto's disease and how it can be cured through functional medicine here on our youtube channel.
The Hashimoto's series on our channel -
There is no reason for you to suffer from your health conditions.
Let us work together to find the root-cause of your disease, and fix it. Click below to start your healing journey with us.